- Boy meets girl, (At t = 0, perhaps? )
- Boy and girl fall in love, Maxima
- (Lo and behold, we discover that the families were always rivals. )
- Girl's dad-mom find out and threaten to kill the boy, Minima
- Girl and boy elope, Point of inflexion.
So, the aforementioned story could either be QSQT-esque tragedy ending in a bloodbath. Or, they could have a child and then the parents look at the grand-child and have a change of heart (Now which movie was it? Dil? Bobby?).
Of course, nobody is making these formula films anymore. But, even for a complicated story, it should be possible to identify such points.
Cheats, (like me), create a vivid landscape for the characters, write about the maxima usually soaked in nostalgia, drag the story to the minima, to the sadness/helplessness/despair, and let the pathos do the trick on the reader. Probably because of the lack the creativity and/or the courage to give a fair treatment to the characters.
What do you think?