Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Of Routines and Fragile Bonds...

No post for a long time... Life has sunk into a pattern, a routine which springs few surprises. Its not that I am complaining.

Every morning, I wake up and make my way to the bus stop on the other side of the road. I use the overbridge. Every morning I cross her, exactly midway through. Indian lady, early 30s. Everyday, she smiles at me, I smile back. Its an expression of familiarity, just that I don't know her, yet. And yet, in the strangest of ways, we have formed a bond, of brief good mornings.

Yesterday, I was a few minutes late, and she came a few steps ahead. Our secret pattern was dented, ever so slightly. On seeing me, she gave me the biggest, widest, toothiest grins ever. I could see her breathe a sigh of relief.

Sometimes, I wonder if I should stop and talk to her for a brief second. But I am usually in a rush, and in all likelyhood, so is she. We don't have time. We never have time.

Ah, routine...

3 comments:

Nikhil said...

:-)

Mo said...

Yep, I am not complainin'

Arunima said...

happened with me too but ultimately we came to know each other. I knew her name. now, I have forgotten again as I have changed the company, the path and also the bus stop.